Despite the fiercely competitive nature of athletics, gaining respect on the circuit is something that all athletes crave. Athletics is a sport steeped in tradition, and this tradition must be respected!
With the indoor season fast approaching, below is a rundown of the 10 commandments of track and field athletics, which athletes should uphold at all times:
- Thou shalt not use thy spikes for any other purpose than that for which they were intended.
- Thou shalt not leave thy current club for a neighbouring rival.
- Thou shalt take great care to avoid decorating other athletes when discharging phlegm.
- Thou shalt always respect one’s body; thou shalt rest if rest is needed.
- Thou shalt always buy the brightest, most colourful kit on the market.
- Distance athletes shalt remember Sunday is long run day, and shalt keep it holy.
- Thou shalt always keep thy leading foot behind, NOT ON, the line when starting a race.
- Thou shalt not lie about thy times, distances or heights because the power of 10 God is all-knowing and easily accessible.
- Thou shalt not use social media platforms as training diaries; diaries are personal by definition.
- Thou shalt always be humble and gracious in victory, mediocrity and defeat.